Malware

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Malware

Post by Stella » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:48 am

I've downloaded a trial version of Malware. Whoa, did I ever find a mess. Since my grandson sometimes uses this computer, it looks like a good idea to have Malware installed. Any special version I should get? Any helpful Ideas? I was checking out the home version for $40.

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Malware

Post by draclvr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 pm

OK, something isn't making sense here! Malware is any form of virus, trojan and general really bad stuff. Why are you purposely downloading these things to any computer?!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Stella » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't think I did. My grandson has downloaded a couple of games that I think may be the culprits. Lots of spam, cookies, etc. This trial version has wiped it clean and I think I should use something like this for when he's on my computer.

Maybe what I should say is Malwarebytes? Does that make a difference?

It all started when my printer stopped printing. I've had it forever, so just went and bought a new one. Discovered once I was home that they no longer include a driver disc. You have to contact the printer company and they install it for you. When I did that, they found corrupted printer files, and new printer would not install. I ran Malwarebytes to clean that up, and it took out the aforementioned. Now printer is in and everything is working fine.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Oh, my goodness! I should have realized you didn't download malware, but you downloaded Malwarebytes! I was in a hurry earlier.

OK. That changes everything. Malwarebytes is one of the best anti-malware software programs out there. The trial version will revert to the basic Malwarebytes after the trial period - 30 days I think. What you get with the full version is real time anti-malware protection. For instance, if a website tries to download malware, Malwarebytes will stop it in its tracks before it ever gets to your computer. It's well worth the $40 a year for it. But even if you have the basic version and just run it once a week or so, it will get rid of anything on your computer. Normally, Malwarebytes runs along side your anti-virus software just fine. What are you using for anti-virus?

Many printers and other hardware no longer include a driver disc. You don't need to have the company do it for you - you just go to the manufacturer's website and download it from there. I recently got a new HP printer and just went to the HP website and found the drivers there and downloaded. I had to do the same thing with a video card I recently installed in a friend's computer... just went to the ASUS website and downloaded the drivers from there.

So, you can do what you are most comfortable with concerning Malwarebytes... if you stick with the basic software, jut be sure to run it once a week or so to keep things clean and tidy! If you get the paid version, it will run in real time.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Stella » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:47 am

Printer.. went to the site for drivers, but tech popup was insisting they install for me. Was annoyed at first, like to do things myself, but they spotted the corrupt drivers, which led me to run Malwarebytes.

Thanks for your help. :)

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:06 am

What brand was this printer? This is very, very suspicious behavior for a reputable company because you should never in a million years allow anyone you don't know or trust to do ANYTHING to your computer. Personally, I would have reported this tech popup.

Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Stella » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:29 pm

HP . I hung up on the first person I called. I can't hear very well these days and this guy had an accent I have trouble understanding. After pouting for over an hour, I tried the site again, and a women took over my page this time. I asked why I couldn't just install printer myself, and she said it was easier for HP to do it. I told her I was uncomfortable with her accessing my computer, but I ended up with her installing it. She didn't try to sell me anything, which was a point in her favor. I don't care for this new way of doing things, even though everything worked out ok for me THIS time.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:45 pm

I certainly hope nothing untoward happened, but be very, very vigilant. Never call HP or any company. One of the reasons they stopped shipping driver CD is of course, cost, but also that many new laptops don't even have CD drives any more. Everything is moving away from physical media... which is fine with me as the drivers shipped with my hardware were usually out of date and I'd have to download new ones anyway. In the future - just using HP as an example - just go to the website and enter in the name and model of your printer here...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

After I entered my current printer information, I was taken here...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... el/7588795

From there I download the full feature software and drivers. After entering Envy 4512 it was just two clicks and easy peasy!!