Monitor since video card

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Monitor since video card

Postby mbday630 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 pm

I don't know if they happened at the same time (I didn't pay attention) but, ever since we put in the new video card, when I start up my computer in the morning (I always leave the monitor on) I have to turn off the monitor and then turn it on again to get it to show anything. This morning I had to do it 2 times so I was thinking I needed a new monitor. So, I bought a refurbished one from NewEgg which was fairly cheap but I was wondering if there is a link between the video card and my monitor not starting.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Monitor since video card

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 pm

I can't imagine why. I also never turn my monitor off, just my computer. The only thing I can think of is that there is an issue with the cable or the adapter. Does the new one you got have a DVI interface so you don't have to use an adapter?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:54 am

oh crapski. I didn't look. This is the one I bought. I was more worried about getting the speakers inside of it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6824236621
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 am

It says it has one DVI interface. So you will need to get a DVI cable for it. It also has a VGA interface, so you can try using that converter cable on it too. If you have the same behavior, then you'll know it's the cable.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:28 pm

so, I might need to use the cable that I used before? or get a new one? I am confused. I sure didn't think of that... I was just thinking of getting the monitor with built in speakers.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm

If you're talking about your original old cable, no, you can't use the original old one... Remember your video card does not have the old VGA interface, only the DVI interface. And your old monitor only had a VGA port. So that's why you had to get that special cable adapter.. Your new monitor has BOTH types of ports. So, you will have to do one of two things... the best thing to do would be to get a DVI to DVI cable for the new monitor and the new video card. OR use the cable with the VGA on one end for the new monitor ( since it has both) and DVI for the video card. If you do use that adapter cable and continue to have problems, then you will know the problem wasn't your old monitor, but rather that adapter cable.

This picture shows the two different ports and how they are shaped. The one on the left is the digital DVI port and the one on the right is the old analog VGA port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:26 am

The monitor may be set to preferentially use the VGA port.
Check the monitor controls and make sure it's set to use the DVI.

If you need more complete instructions, you can download the monitor manual from the Asus website
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/VE198T/HelpDesk_Manual/

On page 3-3 of this manual it shows a picture of where you choose VGA or DVI as the desired input source.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 am

Her old monitor only HAD a VGA port, so that's why she had to get the adapter cable and I still suspect her problem with having to turn the monitor off and on again in the morning is the fault of the cable, not the monitor. But she may need that link for the new one. Although, I've hooked up several monitors with both and never had to set the monitor to use the DVI.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:51 pm

mbday, did you ever get this issue worked out? I totally forgot to come back and check with you!
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 am

Hmm, when I replaced my cd rom, this very same thing happened to me. My monitor would only start when I manually turned it off, and then back on again. Tried everything, but couldn't fix it. Then my puppy ate my glasses, my shoes, the telephone, and my electric blanket cord. So, put the monitor problem on hold while I fixed and replaced these things, and discussed the difference between good boy and bad boy with my puppy. Upon starting my computer one morning, the monitor seems to have fixed itself. :scratch:
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:53 am

Yikes! That is one busy puppy! Sometimes, it's just a damn good thing they're cute!

Yeah, about 99% of the time a reboot or just time will sort computer stuff out.

Return to “Technical Help”