Disney+

Discuss your viewing preferences here!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Disney+

Post by Kickaha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Disney+ is due to become available in the UK late March. Is anyone subscribed to it? What do you think?

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Disney+

Post by draclvr » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:28 pm

We have Disney on our DirecTV Satellite subscription. Disney has a ton of channels. Do you know how many of them will be available to you?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:53 am

Disney Plus is different, Drac. It's available on it's own for streaming with a lot of movie and series content not available on any of the Disney channels. I just started streaming my TV over the past several weeks to cut down on my cable bill. Since I don't have smart tvs everywhere, I have two Roku expresses ($25 each) in my bedroom and basement where I work out. In my Living Room I have an Apple TV box which the cable company offers as an alternative on a rent to own basis. For now, I'm streaming my cable subscriber's app because it offers me all the channels (including Premium movie channels and sports channels and live TV) that I was getting before plus a bit more. I looked at all the other options, Hulu, Fubo, Sling, etc and by the time I added up the costs for what I had, it was fairly comparable to the cable company app. I no longer use any of the cable company equipment boxes which saves me quite a bit. I'm also able to download free movie apps where I've been able to see movies that haven't been available for quite some time or are only on periodically. I recently watched the movie "The Big Short" which I have wanted to see and was only available to rent, but it was on one of the free apps (Pluto TV). I also just watched "On Golden Pond" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" on free movie TV. The Apple TV comes with a free one year subscription to Apple TV which I haven't watched as yet, though I've seen ads for some of it's original series. I did look at Disney + but decided against it.

With so many of the channels, they offer a free trial, Kick. Some are free for 7 days others for 30 days. You may be able to try it out and see if the content is worth it.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:36 am

I looked it up and it is a new streaming service. I hadn't heard about it! Says it is $6.99 a month. We have Netflix and Prime TV and still have the old subscription to DirecTV. I pay $155 a month for that and am trying to get rid of it. We do like some shows that are only available on Showtime and HBO, so would have to figure that out. We only got internet service fast enough for streaming with unlimited data two years ago.

I caught hubby watching YouTube videos on his little $70 smart phone. So I set him up on the Smart TV and signed him into my YouTube account and now he has yet another channel to watch that isn't WW II documentaries! He loves watching wood working videos that use giant lathes, so also having his wireless headphones is a godsend for me! He can listen to the saws and machines and I have blessed silence!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am

My internet and phone (landline) cost me $80 per month and the cable company gold package costs me $117 now. I did upgrade my modem router to accommodate the higher download speeds I am now getting, so the streaming has worked really well thus far. My roku expresses only link to the 2.4 GHz band, so the download speed is still not at the top, but they are still working quite well. Very few if any hiccups. YouTube has some good stuff. Since my Smart TV was pre-2016, I wasn't able to download YouTube to it, and was using my smart phone and chromecast to watch. Now it's on my Apple TV, so it makes it easier. If you want to watch a real thriller, search and find the program "I'm the Girl He Wants to Kill." I saw it eons ago as a teenager and it was one of the most thrilling shows I've ever watched. It's British and was written by Brian Clemmens who created the old "Avengers" series with John Steed and Emma Peel the main characters. I watched the thriller last weekend and it was just as good as I remember it. Basic plot is a woman sees the killer of a neighbor and is then trapped in an office building with him after hours. Real cat and mouse.

I do have a mobile phone, but the landline is only costing me $10 per month so I'm keeping it for now. Plus the reception in the house is better with the landline.

All this streaming is new to me, but I'm learning fast. With no football to watch, this is the time of year when I watch a lot of movies. I'm getting HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore and The Movie Channel with my cable gold package. When college football comes back, in addition to the network and ESPN offerings, I now get The Big 10 network, ACC and PAC 12.

You can get the HBO app for $15.99 per month and the Showtime app is $10.99. So much available now as long as you have good internet speeds!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:55 am

I finally got sick of paying $60 a month for my landline and only getting spam and telemarketer calls and had it disconnected last month. The only reason I kept it as long as I did is that we have one wall phone that is a direct connection to the terminal down by the road. Even if the electricity was off, I still had a phone. Hubby's cheapie smart phone costs about $10 a month and mine about $20 a month - we have Tracfones. However, I got a really nice ASUS phone to use with their service. Works just great and I love this phone.

Last summer I spent a lot of time ripping all our old CDs to digital files and transferring them to a small home server. They I set it up so that I could stream our music to outdoor speakers. I also downloaded the Plex Media Server to the TV, so we can listen to our music through the TV too. This summer I really need to work on the TV issues.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:06 pm

I had a bundled service with my cable provider and it kept going up. I was on legacy with my previous providers bundle (They were taken over by the new provider) so I really couldn't make any changes without wrecking my bundle. When I tried to return my cable boxes, they couldn't do it without costing me more...according to them. So...I decided to explore streaming options, which was actually encouraged by my current provider. I just had to find the right person to talk with that wouldn't give me a song and dance. Somehow, I ended up in the retention department and I got the straight scoop. X dollars for internet, Y dollars more if I added phone, and Z dollars for TV packages, depending on how much I wanted. The internet was also going to be faster. She knocked off $20 per month if I switched my phone service over to them as well. I had Consumer Cellular. Inexpensive, but my phone service inside my house was horrid even with wifi calling. So, since the price was a bit better for more (I now have data), I decided what the heck? I got a better phone in the process which I will own after 2 years and they even gave me $100 for a trade in of my old phone.

I explored all the streaming packages. Some don't have live TV, some don't have certain channels that are deal breakers for me. My ex-SIL got me thinking about streaming. They had switched to Sling but have now already had to switch since they no longer offer the YES network, and she is a huge NY Yankees fan.

I have rabbit ear backups on two of my tvs in case the internet service goes out. I get all the network channels. If I have to play catch-up on any shows, I've got On Demand, so I should be set. So far, so good.

It sounds like you really have things squared away in a lot of areas, Drac. Your technical savvy amazes me! I am still learning. I discovered by accident that I could stream my Sirius XM phone app (I also have it in my car) to my TV using the Chromecast! It was a nice surprise.
Last edited by JKEerie on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Sometimes it's a learning process and a struggle, but I am persistent if nothing else and usually get it all to work... eventually!