Labyronia

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Ivinia
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Labyronia

Postby Ivinia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:06 am

I have been playing this one for a bit. I was feeling like playing an old school RPG and this one was on Steam for $1.99 so I figured I would give it a shot.

It was made with RPG Maker, so it tends to look and play like every other game with RPG Maker. Thankfully I have never played any of them, so it was a new experience for me and I found myself quite liking it.
Hidden Sanctum Games for those seeking escape...
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Labyronia

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:12 am

Wow that IS old school! Had to laugh a little when I read the Pentium PIII minimum requirements. Have fun!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Ivinia
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Ivinia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:39 am

LOL, I didn't realize it was THAT old! I assumed the release date on Steam was it's actual release date of 2015-ish. That explains why the author responded to a post of mine saying he gets a kick out of seeing people still enjoying his older games! :D
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 am

I actually think it WAS released in 2015... Maybe he made the game a long time ago though.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 am

Not necessarily long ago - you can still buy RPG Maker VX, which was released in 2008 and has a minimum requirement of Pentium III (and if that's the minimum requirement for the development tools, it's quite possible the requirement for the games produced is lower). I can imagine they aren't the most demanding games to run!
Ivinia
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Ivinia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:28 am

Yeah, they are ridiculously simple. Sadly they all look the same. Since I never played one developed using that tool it was 'fresh', but in trying some others I get a sense of deja vu. Been there, done that. However, from a developers standpoint (who doesn't use RPG maker), it is quite informative to see how they handled writing a game. For example, each tile has a property list - draw order, passable or blocked, etc.

Normally, I would have had a grid and set the properties for each cell - image to use, passable, etc. But they attach those properties to the sprite sheet itself which greatly simplifies the coding.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am

I'm always so impressed with people who develop games, whether they use a tool like RPG maker or not. I beta tested one called Pinstripe a few months ago and it was amazing to see how the developer put it all together.

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”