Windows 10 Pro License Discount

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Windows 10 Pro License Discount

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:05 am

I love Tony! I agree with him that Asus and Lenovo are the best branded laptops. He also uses some of my favorite utilities like Hijack This. And I'm really curious about the story with the 85 year old woman!

I am not a fan of Webroot because of the large "footprint," but I would never have thought it was the problem in startup. I also think Norton is one of the worst anti-virus suites for the same reason... plus it gives SOOOO many false hits and will actually delete game files it determines are malicious. As far as anti-virus, I have used Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes Pro for many years... probably at least 5 or 6 years. Defender is now considered quite good, but I don't trust it by itself, hence the Malwarebytes Pro.

I just don't know what to tell you about the Webroot... One thing to consider is that as of January 14, 2020 you won't be receiving any more security updates for Windows 7 as this is the end of support for it. If it causes problems with Windows 10 updates, personally I'd ditch it if they don't fix the issue. Who knows, maybe the reason they haven't fixed it is because of the end of support in January for Windows 7.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:49 am

I forgot about Windows Defender since it got deactivated with Microsoft Security Essentials. I just uninstalled MSE and reactivated Defender. I also downloaded the free Avast for now. I'll wait to hear from Webroot support before I chance reinstalling it on my Windows 7 machine. I searched through their community forums and found one thread from a couple of years ago that described my issue. Apparently whatever the resolution was, it was specific for each computer.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:58 am

This is kind of an interesting history of MSE and Defender. When Defender was launched with Windows 8, MSE was built in. I "believe" it is the same on Windows 7 now with some of the updates.

https://www.guidingtech.com/difference- ... ssentials/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Interesting article. Defender also seems to play nice with other antivirus programs. Avast needed me to turn off MSE for realtime protection.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:31 pm

I forgot that my internet provider, Spectrum, provides a free security suite for their customers. So I decided to download and install that instead of Avast...which by the way caused an automatic Check Disk on restart after I uninstalled it. So, I'll use the Spectrum suite (F-secure) and Windows Defender on my Windows 7 machine. I still haven't heard from Webroot, by the way.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Make sure you aren't using TWO anti-virus programs! Defender is considered an anti-virus, so if you use the Spectrum Suite, make sure you disable and anti-virus part of it. Two ant-virus programs are going to fight each other. That's why I use Malwarebytes Pro with Defender... Malwarebytes is made to run along side an anti-virus program.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Actually, thus far they are getting along famously. System isn't bogged down at all. When I was using Avast, it needed me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials before it would run. Not so with Defender. Since the Spectrum suite is so complete, if I have to disable one, I'll likely disable Defender.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Definitely see how it goes. I wonder if you have the full Defender on your Windows 7 or if that is an update. They didn't switch it to a full anti-virus program until Windows 8.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:19 pm

That certainly is possible, Drac.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:06 am

Finally heard from Webroot and just finished speaking with a tech. He said that with some of the newer Windows updates for Windows 7, Webroot was overmonitoring the files and causing startup issues. The solution was to do a clean uninstall of Webroot and then do a clean reinstall without importing any previous settings. I told him that since my Windows 7 machine is running so much nicer with my F Secure, I'm going to stick with that. He basically agreed that each user needs to do what is best for them. So...at least they are aware that this is an issue.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:32 am

My question is always this... if they are aware, why don't they issue an update to fix the issue instead of just letting people have screwed up computers?

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 am

Their fix, Drac, was to uninstall and reinstall. According to the tech, that resolves the problem.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah, but you had to contact them and wait for some time before they contacted you!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:46 pm

That is very true, Drac. It took a week to get a reply, and then I had to call them to actually talk with a tech.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:54 pm

And really... until the tech told you it was Webroot, you had no way of knowing. I found quite a bit on the issue in the Webroot forums and it sounds like this has been an issue for almost a year. In a way, I feel sorry for these anti-virus manufacturers trying to make their software work on so many different platforms and combinations of software and hardware. I just wish there was some easy way for them to put out an FYI to their users.