This is really getting old - crah reporter message

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

This is really getting old - crah reporter message

Postby mbday630 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 am

I am getting this crash reporter message about calling 888 466 6458. I was just trying to fill out a walmart survey about my experience on pickup delivery. I have been getting it about every 2 or 3 days. I have done spyware scans, malware scans and my AVG virus scans and am not seeing anything. Why am I getting this and how can I put a stop to it please!!! ??
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: This is really getting old - crah reporter message

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 pm

I HATE these things. It is your browser that is infected, not your computer. Clear out your browser history. A scan with CCleaner might help too if this thing has created a cookie.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:06 pm

I just deleted all my cookies on firefox and deleted history and cookies on explorer but I just got the message again. I haven't tried crapcleaner yet but I think I might need to - I hate using that as all my passwords and stuff are gone then.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:35 pm

NO! Your passwords will not be gone if you move them over to the "do not remove" side. Just click on Options and then on Cookies... move any you want CCleaner to leave alone over to the panel on the right.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:06 am

wow, I did what you said and so far so good - knock on wood. Thanks so much for suggesting that I do that. That was so annoying. Just what prompts that thing to pop up though? It would go for a few days and then whammo it would pop up and the only way to get out of it would be to go to task manager.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:33 am

You had what we call a "drive by" infection. Some website infected you... could have been nothing more than a banner ad or something on the side. HATE those damned things! I've had two panicked people call me who actually called the number. Luckily both figured out quickly it was a scan and both had to literally unplug their computers to get rid of them.

Glad CCleaner got rid of it for you!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 pm

As a bit of an aside, after reading the above I thought I'd try installing CCleaner to see if it could solve a small problem I've been having with an occasional pop-under. (Ladies with the sort of boobs that make one feel inadequate!) Anyhow, I missed unchecking the little box for installing Avast and the darned thing installed in the blink of an eyelid. I had to restore to an earlier date to get rid of it - Revo Uninstaller kept uninstalling and deleting leftover files (of which there were a couple of hundred) but it kept coming back. I prefer using my Windows Defender which has kept my beautifully protected for several years now. So I thought I'd just post this as a warning to watch out for little boxes and check marks.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Indeed... I did the same thing as I'm not used to CCleaner doing this. I was able to uninstall Avast easily and go back to Defender. You've got to be hyper-vigilant about these stupid things. I sent the folks are Piriform a scathing email, but I know it's all about money, so I know nothing will change.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 am

Draclvr, what did you use to uninstall?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:13 am

Just the Windows uninstaller from the Control Panel.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 am

nope, it didn't work. I got that message again today. I will run the ccleaner again but wonder why it keeps coming up. I did do a spyware scan again and it was just after I went to do the spyware. do you think it is connected to my spyware scan?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:31 am

I doubt it is connect to a spyware scan. Did you reboot your computer between times? If you didn't have it after CCleaner got rid of it, but rebooted your computer, your MBR or master boot record may be infected and respawning it when you reboot.

Also check your browser extensions. Try using a different browser and see if you still get it...

You said you ran a mawlare scan - do you mean a Malwarebytes scan?
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:16 pm

yes, I mean the malwarebytes scan. I did the Ccleaner and then it was good for what - 2 days? then it sprang up again today. I don't know what is causing it. It was just when I clicked on the spyware cleaner that it showed up, that is why I was wondering if it was associated with that. Very frustrating.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:31 pm

What are you using for anti-spyware? And you didn't say if you had rebooted between when it stopped and it started again and have you tried using a different browser? Am I right that you're using Windows 7???
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:13 pm

I use windows 7 but I use firefox for my browser. After the Ccleaner I did do a reboot. everything was normal for the past 2 days until it popped up again today. I clicked on the antispyware icon and wammo.... it came up. which makes me wonder if it is associated with that. argh. I thought it was fixed.

Return to “Technical Help”