Long time with black screen

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Long time with black screen

Post by mbday630 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:43 am

This morning when I started my computer, there was a black screen for almost 10 minutes. In fact, I was scrambling to find an old computer to hook up. but, all of a sudden it did start up. but, is this the start of something breaking? and if so, what part on my computer is going? I was wondering if it was the monitor but after shutting off the monitor and starting it again I got the DVI screen so I was sure it wasn't the monitor. Do you think it is just the graphics card or something more disastrous? I love this computer and have all my games on it so I don't want it to go out!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Re: Long time with black screen

Post by JKEerie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:48 am

Is it Windows 10? There was an update last week that caused boot up issues with black screens on some computers. Removing that update fixed the issue. I had no issues with the update but uninstalled it anyway.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:35 am

No, I am using windows 7. Now today it started up normally - so, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a glitch. whew. Setting up some of my old computers would entail me having to bend over to pick it up, and then get on my knees to plug it in! we don't want that.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:43 am

Glad to hear it. I'm still using my Windows 7 laptop quite a bit. I had an issue with it after an update a few months ago. Boot hung on a black screen. It turns out it was an incompatibility with my antivirus and an update. Had to uninstall the antivirus in safe mode. That fixed it. I've since reinstalled the antivirus after contacting the company. All is working well.

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:12 am

I hope you have taken the Windows 7 computer off the internet, mbday! Especially if you use it for anything besides gaming. As I'm sure you know, Windows 7 is no longer supported and hasn't received any security updates for a couple of months now. The hang-up could have just been a one time thing, but it's hard to know. If it is on the internet, it is now vulnerable to back door attacks etc.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:28 pm

You know Drac, I still use my Windows 7 machine on the internet, but it is only for websites that I regularly use for personal business. I do use the Windows 10 for internet searches for things that may take me to parts unknown. My Windows 7 Asus is just so comfortable, with a larger keyboard and number pad. I've been using my Windows 10 for games mostly. Eventually it will become my go-to, but I'm not there yet.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:44 pm

I hope the personal business does not involve anything sensitive such as banking or credit cards or even your personal information in general. We all have to assess the level of risk we are willing to take! Me, I'm a wimp...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:58 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the level of risk involving that kind of financial info has more to do with the websites, than my laptop. I do my banking online and I shop online, but only on reputable sites and I have alerts set up on all my accounts.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Absolutely true. But if some sly little piece of tracking code sneaks into a weakness in your operating system, it can pick up on all your activity. We call them "drive-by infections." Like I said, I'm a total wuss when it comes to this stuff!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:27 pm

I hear you, Drac. I have been migrating more and more to my Windows 10 machine. It won't be long before my Windows 7 machine goes the way of my XP.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:08 pm

:thumleft: