Nancy Drew Midnight in Salem

Talk about anything related to Adventure games. Upcoming releases, news, or just your opinion. What you liked or didn't like about the games you have played.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Nancy Drew Midnight in Salem

Post by JKEerie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:01 am

I have not as yet started this game. I pre-ordered it from HerInteractive...a hard copy...to take advantage of the free game guide. I got my order confirmation from Herinteractive and updates on shipping. The game arrived on schedule with no delays or issues.

I just installed it on my new Asus ROG 531GU and it installed right away and started up right away! I only watched the opening graphics...but the display and sound are pretty darn good on my new laptop.

I want to finish the new Mystery Case Files before I dive into this one but I'll post more impressions when I do.

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Nancy Drew Midnight in Salem

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:36 am

I am looking forward to hearing about MIS as it has been widely panned as awful. You are one of the few who received their hard copy on time or even at all!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Well...I spent the last several days finally playing Midnight in Salem. I enjoyed it, though the game came with the usual "chores" I detest in ND games. Voice acting was excellent as was the plot. The navigation wasn't too bad, albeit the 360 movement made it difficult to locate some very subtle hotspots. Also, night exploration in the woods was more difficult in the dark with the 360 movement. It was easy to get lost and have to backtrack. I did have access to the game guide since I preordered the game directly from Herinteractive. I needed it as I knew what to do, but couldn't locate the hotspot to find the clue. Some of the puzzles were really interesting. You could switch between amateur and master at any time which came in handy on one puzzle where you had to match wavelengh patterns. Turning the dials on the instrument was not easy with the mouse (really clunky) and was more straightforward on amateur mode. I did manage to kill Nancy, as well as the Hardy Boys a couple of times. Some of the puzzle solutions I stumbled on just with trial and error and some dumb luck. All in all, I enjoyed the game.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

I'm really glad to hear you liked it! There were lots of complaints about so many things after the new management at Her Interactive took over and fired Lani Minellla.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 pm

It's funny, as much as Lani Minelli has been THE voice of Nancy Drew, I didn't really miss her. The new voice actress was quite good.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:24 pm

If there was one bright spot with opinions, it was that the voice acting was excellent.