What are you playing right now?

Talk about anything related to Adventure games. Upcoming releases, news, or just your opinion. What you liked or didn't like about the games you have played.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

What are you playing right now?

Postby skeeter » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 pm

I am working my way through Space Quest 5, but it is hard going. It feels like a bit of a chore to be honest. I am trying to decide what to play after that, I think something a bit newer and less like hard work. What is everyone else playing?
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: What are you playing right now?

Postby draclvr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm so glad you started this thread, skeeter!

I am beta testing an excellent adventure/platformer called Pinstripe. While it's an "adventure through hell," it would not be for anyone who only likes point and click adventures as there is some jumping and shooting with a slingshot involved. It is really well done with quite an interesting, if somewhat disturbing, story line. I can't say more until the official release date which is April 25th.

I am also beta testing a great story driven adventure called Conarium. It is strongly influenced by H.P Lovecraft stories and is alternately creepy and fascinating. This one doesn't involve any platform type action, but isn't strictly point and click. Movement is accomplished with keyboard and mouse, but then so many of the new adventures are being developed this way. It even appears the new Syberia 3 will be like that.

As far as what to play next, there are a lot of newer games out there. Did you play the first Barrow Hill? There was a sequel released called Barrow Hill, The Dark Path which is excellent.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a really good one too. I think I have a review of that one here at MM.

For a good old-fashioned adventure, The Book of Unwritten Tales is just great.

I'm sure you will get some more recommendations from others...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 am

I started playing Fran Bow in the community playthrough at AG, but preparing for the tourney put it on the back burner last week. I hope to get to it again in a couple of days.
Bloom where you're planted.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:33 am

Drac, I used to be able to do a smidge of action and the keyboard control too. But now I am spoiled and it frustrates me, unless it's a game I'm desperate to play. I am even getting so bad at games that the cursor doesn't do anything to indicate a hotspot, as I've discovered playing Space Quest. Creepy games - I once got halfway through Scratches, does that count? I started Barrow Hill, but I am not a fan of wandering around aimlessly with no people to tell me what to do. I loved BOUT, my favourite games!

I have seen Fran Bow, I'll look it up again.

I guess the trouble is I don't play a lot of games any more, mostly due to time. But also I have trouble concentrating these days, and getting into them. I have an urge to play the older games, but they are not like I remember. I have loads of games to play, just need to pick one.
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 am

I loathe the navigation in games like Barrow Hill - it drives me mad!

I'm like you in that I don't have a lot of time to sit down and game - even though I'm retired! The other thing I hate is games that only auto-save!

I think Winfrey is replaying the old Syberia games right now in anticipation of the release of Syberia 3.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 am

Fran Bow is creepy, Skeeter, but it is 3rd person.
Bloom where you're planted.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm not actively playing anything right now, but I'm considering "Tales" or "Tales of Cosmos."
http://fireflowergames.com/shop/tales/
http://fireflowergames.com/shop/tales-of-cosmos/

I watched the first part of "Tales" and "Tales of Cosmos" on YouTube to get an idea of the gameplay, and they both looked good.
Both are point-and-click and don't seem to depend on quick reflexes.

Another game I was considering is Quern, currently 25% off at GOG
https://www.gog.com/game/quern_undying_thoughts

I'm not sure if I can play Quern though since it uses a first person 3D engine and would almost certainly give me motion sickness.

I would have bought "Barrow Hill: The Dark Path" as soon as it came out if it had been available DRM-free/Steam-free/client-free.
But by the time it was available some place other than Steam I'd given up hope of seeing it DRM-free and had watched a playthrough on YouTube. Unfortunately the story put me off (too much like the original game) and the puzzles didn't seem as good as in the original (fussier and potential triggering issues). I will probably still buy "The Dark Path" eventually, but it's no longer a priority.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:14 am

I recently finished (at least in a minimal sense) The Witness and loved it - it's possibly not for everyone as there's very little in the way of explicit story (there is a lot of narrative in there but it's all to be deduced from what you see, you don't interact with anyone), it's free-roaming first person (sorry middletoe!) and features a few sound puzzles and a very few timed ones - but it's beautiful and clever and has intricately designed puzzles, and it's largely abstract but with a wonderful sense of physicality thanks largely to brilliant sound design, and it's designed such that you can play a short or a long session at a time, and it has elements of Myst and Talos Principle and Fract OSC. Pretty much made for me :)

(which reminds me, I always meant to write a review of Fract OSC. Maybe one day...)

I'll be dipping back into it to figure out more secrets, but in the meantime I've finally started Technobabylon. A cyberpunkish thriller made by Wadjet Eye, and so far it's pretty much what I'd expect from that. Which is to say I'm liking it a lot!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Good for you Draclvr beta-testing games! Very valuable activity.

(I'm currently playing a RPG "Pillars of Eternity", have started "Obduction" and will get back to it).
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 am

3rd person is good, Lady K. middletoe, that's a good point. I get bad motion sickness so I can't play any games that move around, hence why I prefer 3rd person. Phlebas, I love Wadjet Eye games, and I like scifi... I don't think I ever finished Syberia when I played it last.
— Terry Pratchett
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:53 pm

I started "Tales of Cosmos." It's very cute and is point-and-click. You play as two characters, a dog and a monkey. Most of the time you move them around together, but some puzzles may require them to be in different locations so you can split them up to solve. For example, the dog can't climb down a chimney but the monkey can. The dog is able to talk to other characters you meet in the game (but the monkey can't). The monkey carries inventory and is able to do things that require opposable thumbs. Right-click while you're controlling the monkey and the inventory opens. Right-click while you're controlling the dog, and he'll do a "superbark" which can sometimes help solve a puzzle. After building a small rocket, your two characters can visit other worlds and meet other characters. The game allows you to make your own saves, but also autosaves on exit and allows a "Quicksave" (F5 key) during the game (F8 is "Quick Load"). "Tales of Cosmos" reminds me of "Samarost"/"Botanicula" type games, so if you like those games, "Tales of Cosmos" is worth a try.
skeeter wrote:I get bad motion sickness so I can't play any games that move around, hence why I prefer 3rd person.

I like 1st person as long as it's still screen (like Riven) or allows slow, controllable panning.
Forward movement in 1st person tends to give me motion sickness, and it's worse with widescreen monitors than it was with the old CRT monitors. I think it's due to imperfect rendering of how objects change in relation to each other as you move -- which results in "first person vomit vision" (as one Youtube reviewer called it). It can happen with 3rd person games too, if the camera follows the character too closely while the screen moves.

I don't think I ever finished Syberia when I played it last.

I've started Syberia several times, but never managed to finish it except for the very first time I played it -- and that one time I was playing along with someone else. In my opinion, Syberia was a game that somehow was less than the sum of its parts -- graphics were good, story was good, characters were good, music was good, but somehow actually playing it was tedious. I'd have preferred it as a movie. In contrast, I've replayed The Longest Journey 4 or 5 times now without having that problem, despite that most people think the games are similar -- both 3rd person, point-and-click, neither game relies on fast reflexes.

That first (and only) time I played it to completion, when I was playing it along with someone, we'd groan together every time there was yet another phone interruption, and make fun of Kate's brainless mother and fiance. It's not as much fun doing that when you play alone, and my friend refuses to replay Syberia with me.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:12 pm

I've started Syberia several times, but never managed to finish it except for the very first time I played it -- and that one time I was playing along with someone else. In my opinion, Syberia was a game that somehow was less than the sum of its parts -- graphics were good, story was good, characters were good, music was good, but somehow actually playing it was tedious

My thoughts exactly about both the Syberia games - especially the first one. I know that's nigh onto sacrilegious, but my opinion too!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Finished Tales of Cosmos. Cute game.
A few timing-related puzzles but not QTE's.
More like being in the right place at the right time and doing things in the right order.

There's a walkthrough at SteamCommunity if you get stuck
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817202219
I used it when I couldn't figure out how to get the lunar flower to bloom.
But as soon as I reloaded my save to continue the game, the flower bloomed immediately without help.

Return to “Adventure Game Discussions”