How is Everyone Coping?

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: How is Everyone Coping?

Post by draclvr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 pm

I had the opportunity to do some very basic study on viruses in one of my courses for my degree in Wildlife Biology. I remember the phrase obligatory parasite - they are indeed just looking for a host. I love your analogy.

WELLLLL!!! I purchased my 10 acres and a 100+ year old farmhouse in 1993. I gutted it and rebuilt/restored/remodeled it. After 27 years I am doing some much needed updates. Last winter I did the living and dining rooms. That was a matter of stripping wallpaper and repainting. That was something I could do - VERY slowly, but surely! For a long time, I have wanted to update my kitchen. After 27 years I was just sick of the honey oak cabinets! The room always seemed so dark because of the ceilings. They are the original heart pine tongue and groove wood ceilings which I stripped of ancient paint and restored. This is beyond me, so I had someone come in and repaint my kitchen cabinets. Holy cow, what a job! So, now the rest is up to me. I stripped off a wallpaper border, have a lot of drywall repair to do and am going to repaint the walls and trim. Here are some befores and afters.

Aack! Gotta redo... they're all sideways!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:15 pm

So what color scheme are you looking at for your kitchen, Drac?

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Maybe these will work! This is before. Trying again...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:41 pm

The other corner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:43 pm

Oh...much brighter!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 pm

I wish you could make them bigger! Notice the wood ceiling... that's what makes it dark, but that ceiling is gorgeous. It's original beaded heart pine. And the hideous 35 year old monstrosity of a ceiling fan was the first thing to go in the trash!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:35 pm

Fixed them!!

I have a large accent wall which I'm going to do in a dark gold tone. Using gold and blue as my accents. Lots of work to do yet. Since the home improvement stores are madhouses with no one caring about social distancing, I just order some paint samples from the Magnolia website. Their paints are pricey, but they are really high quality. That way I don't have to expose myself to anything, but can still keep working.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:43 am

that is beautiful Drac. I love the ceiling. I wish I could get the energy to strip the wallpaper from my downstairs rec room but the task seems too daunting to me right now. Hospice called and they think my mother is at her life's end so we are going to the living center where she is staying every day. There is a whole rigamarole to do when you go in- but, we are lucky that we get to see her at her life's end. some hospice centers don't allow any visitors at all.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, mbday. Around here, you cannot even get in to see dying family members. How old is she?

I KNOW what you mean about getting up the energy/desire to strip wallpaper! I did my entire living and dining rooms last winter. It went really smoothly for 6 walls... just sprayed it down with water and let it sit for about 10 minutes, spray it down again and start pulling the paper off. Easy. Then came the last two walls... I had to fight for every inch, but by that time I had to finish. Had to do a lot of drywall repair on them, but it looks SO much nicer now.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:30 am

Some of you may have heard that John Prine has been on a ventilator after contracting COVID-19. Winfrey just posted this link over at Gameboomers. He is off the ventilator, but still fighting the disease. The video just made my day!

John Prine and Steven Colbert

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Great job on the kitchen, Drac!

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:33 pm

thanks for that link Drac! "happy enchilada" is a favorite of mine, but, lots of his songs are favorites. He doesn't have a very good voice, but, his songs sure are catchy. I am so glad he is getting better. I don't know how old my mother is - I think 94. she was 27 when I was born and I am almost 67 - so, the math is too much for me. I saw my mother again today, and she didn't respond to kisses or questions. yesterday she responded to my kisses. the end is near and it is making my heart very heavy. I knew it was coming, but, it still is heartbreaking.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Oh, MB, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. It is always so hard to let go . Nothing any of us can say will ease your pain. A few of us have lost our Moms in recent years. I can't say the sadness goes away. It dissipates over time, but it's still there. There is nothing you can do to prepare for it. So...just feel the way you feel until you don't feel that way anymore. My prayers are with you.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:16 pm

thanks JK.

Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Stella » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:06 am

So sorry to hear about your Mother Mb. Sending a big hug for you.