How is Everyone Coping?

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

How is Everyone Coping?

Post by draclvr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:17 am

Here in Missouri, all bars, restaurants, schools, churches, the bowling alley etc. are closed for a minimum of a month. We are stocked up with dry cat and dog food and I get my elderly cat's food delivered from Chewy, so we're good there. Have lots of meat in the freezer and tons of home canned pickles, sauces and veggies in the basement, so we're not going to starve!

What is with the WORLD WIDE obsession with toilet paper! It seems like TP is being hoarded in every country! Egads, people, get a grip! Val, I saw that Covid-19 is starting to hit South Africa hard too.

Stay safe and sane everyone!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Re: How is Everyone Coping?

Post by Val » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:59 am

Hi Drac - Yes started with first positive only about 10 days ago but the same with all countries stats are beginning to mount. No deaths yet thank heavens. Our government has learnt from other countries though and put into place all sorts of restrictions straight away. They declared a National disaster and if only we had the economy to do everything they want, life would look rosier. We are already in junk status so heavens knows how all this is going to cost our country unless they demand repayments from all the corrupted officials around!! But still am impressed that things are already in place this early on. Cape Town has already closed all pools, schools, parks and anything belonging to them. Restaurants and pubs closed from 6pm so far. The tourist industry which is so huge in Cape Town's economy is shot but it would have been in any case.

I am personally so pleased that I moved into this independent lifestyle retirement complex when I did. Although they have not imposed any restrictions on us thus far, they are suggesting avoiding all non essential trips and self isolate. I went yesterday and did a double load of supplies so hopefully I won't need to go out for a couple of weeks. I know many folk here of course and the gardens are beautiful so one can still go for a walk, briskly or otherwise and stand and chat to all one meets keeping the appropriate distance of course.
What a time we are living through, but we will come out the other wise healthy hopefully. If not one will not be the wiser I suppose. Keep Calm and Carry On as the motto was during WW2 - not a bad one to adopt now.

As for the toilet paper - lordy knows. I managed to get a 24 pack yesterday so for one person that should be more than adequate! Also doubled up on my coffee, cheese and wine!!! :) As long as the bar stays open here, I reckon we bar flies will still congregate on the patio outside suitably spaced for some social life.

Take care all - hang in there!!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am

Yes, I stocked up on wine and beer too! And managed to find 4 boxes of tissues... I think we have enough toilet paper, but any port in a storm, right?!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:16 pm

My state has been hit pretty hard, but not too bad on this end. Everything is closed, schools, restaurants, bank lobbies, churches, companies can only man 25%, lots of folks working from home.
Freezer is stocked. I'll make a grocery run this afternoon for produce and other staples. Very well stocked on TP and wine. Been laying pretty low otherwise. My allergies have kicked in...dry cough, some sniffles, etc...but no fever or aches. Timing is just bad for my psyche. My retirement portfolio has taken a big hit...on paper. Neighbors have been checking in on me...guess I'm the elderly one they're supposed to keep an eye on. :)

Wish we had some leadership on the federal level. Glad the governors and locals are stepping up.

When I see the young millenials partying on the beaches in Florida, it just irritates me to no end.

BTW, Drac, I'm typing this on my Asus Windows 10 laptop. The Windows 7 machine is only being used on the network when I need a file that I haven't migrated to the new machine. I have enough concerns following Covid 19. I don't need to worry about other "infections." :wink:

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:41 pm

We just had an individual say we should "fight" the shut-down orders by the local Health Department for our American Legion. While this is a well-educated person with at least one PhD, he is dumb as 12 boxes of rocks. Health Department said we are absolutely NOT exempt because we are a veteran's organization any more than the churches are exempt. I saw an idiot in LA was holding services in defiance of the governor's orders because this is all a hoax. The National Guard came in and sent everyone home and he was told he would be arrested if he didn't stop.

These idiots are potentially going to kill other people and they just don't care. I agree, if it wouldn't be for the robust response at the state and local levels, we might be even worse off than we are.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:11 pm

I tend to self-isolate anyway, so this isn't hard for me. we ordered dog food from amazon - which is a new thing. we have a freezer full and lots of canned tomatoes. we sent some food to our daughter who is in the travel industry and is worried how she is going to pay her bills and mortgage. I feel bad for the people that are in travel, cleaning, and restaurant work. they usually live pay check to pay check and I don't know how they are going to live. hubby just retired and I am glad that he got out when the getting was good. so, we are just watching tv and playing games. we aren't starving yet. but, the TP situation is ticking me off. I too had to buy kleenex instead of TP just in case. hopefully they will stock some soon.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Tomorrow I plan to walk over to our ShopRite in the shopping center behind my house to pick up a few necessities and a prescription from their pharmacy, but otherwise my sister and I are in good shape to hunker down for the duration of this epidemic. Between books, games, jigsaw puzzles, art projects, music, movies and tv, there's no chance of boredom setting in, and walks around the neighborhood are still a good idea. I did get a call today telling me that my new glasses are ready, so I'll be picking them up tomorrow as well since their store will be closing down on Saturday afternoon along with other non-essential businesses here in New Jersey.

I feel sorry for the small business owners and their employees and families. Even with a federal stimulus package, these people will be hurting financially and many may never recover. It makes me glad I'm retired.
I'm not lazy. I'm on energy save mode.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:47 am

Glad to hear everyone is doing well, for the most part. I agree with you Lady K, that the small business owners and their employees really have it bad right now. My nieces just lost their styling jobs as today, the governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close in the state. They'll get some freelance work because they do hair, so that will give them some income. They don't have to worry about house payments or rent as they both own their homes (my one niece's husband got his home from his grandmother; the other niece received Mom's home after she passed). I'm hopeful, but not optimistic that the local municipalities will delay property taxes until the brunt of this is over, or at least eliminate late payments. That would be a nice move.

There has been some good news that we cannot overlook. China is now seeing no new cases, and is even sending healthcare equipment to other countries. I know they limited personal freedoms to the max, but it worked to limit the spread. Some cities and states are now following suit. Quite honestly, this is a time when we have to take some short term pain, for long term relief.

Also, I've been following some interviews on CNBC with pharmaceutical and biologic companies regarding promising treatments. The FDA can release these new treatment modalities under an IND...investigational new drug...to get them out sooner rather than later. They did so when the manufacturers of HIV nucleic acid test kits wanted to bring their tests to market. Because the incidence of HIV in the US was so limited, they needed a larger database to draw from. That became blood donors. There were protocols to sign off on, but the roll out of this testing went smoothly and quickly. That testing is now standard of care in the industry.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Yes, I've been following some of the drug possibilities. I think they need to tackle this thing head on from all sides to have any effect. The news from China is heartening, but it took some severe steps to make it happen. Even here we have people resisting social isolation and distancing. Short sighted idiots in my opinion.

We're ordering carry out from the Mexican Restaurant tonight! You just call in your order, pull up in the back and they bring it out to you. Many places are still collecting tips and giving them to their wait staff who are laid off.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:36 pm

I ordered some meat from Omaha Steaks last night because the shelves at ShopRite were quite empty of it yesterday. Pasta and cereal were also nearly wiped out. We picked up some brands we hadn't tried before, so maybe we'll find some new favorites.
I'm not lazy. I'm on energy save mode.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:28 pm

Prime Pantry is closed for restocking right now. If you can't find stuff at the store, that could be an option when it reopens. I can always bake bread and make home made pasta, but I only have about 10 pounds of flour!

Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Diat60 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone! Thought I'd check in and see how you were all doing in the present state of fun and games. We're also self-isolating because of my husband's heart condition making him vulnerable. We're getting groceries delivered also and so far no problems with food. One thing the supermarkets were out of was sugar, which really surprised me. Still can't understand that one. TP was a major problem here too (Canada) but seems to be calming down. Luckily we'd stocked up on TP and paper towels before all this started. We need tons of paper towels at the moment as both our dogs (15 and 17 years old) have become incontinent. And, of course, it's always on the carpets!

Big disappointment is our grandson and his wife have just had, two weeks ago, their first baby, a boy, and all any of us can do, including my son and his wife the grandparents, is look at pictures they send us or put on FB. If this lasts as long as they're talking about, little Owen will be walking and talking before we see him in person!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Oh, no! If you have cell phones, you can do live video chats on Facebook through Messenger. I just did it with our German family last week. They are having to reconsider their annual trip over here this summer. Just set up a time, open Messenger on your phones and one of you taps on the video chat icon. Works great!

Hand sanitizer cannot be found anywhere. We are being very careful with handling the pumps at the gas station using gloves to washing out hands after unpacking groceries and boxes. I got this "recipe" from the WHO website and did all the conversions.

Make your own hand sanitizer. Got this from the WHO website and did all the conversions. This will make a little less than 3 cups.

* 16 ounces of 99% isopropyl alcohol. Most alcohol is 70%... I used what I had, which was 70%.
* 1 Tablespoon 3% hydrogen peroxide (not for hand sanitizing, but for killing any bacteria in the solution itself)
* 1 Teaspoon 98% glycerol (to provide some moisturizer)
* Distilled or boiled cold water

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a glass or plastic container. The glycerol is very thick and viscous, so use a plastic scraper to get it all out of the measuring spoon. Add distilled or cold boiled water to make 2 3/4 cups. Stir with a wooden spoon and let it stand for 72 hours to make sure all bacteria have been neutralized.
I got the glycerol at Amazon. Ordered on Thursday and was delivered on Saturday.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:01 pm

One of our local distilleries that makes vodka is now making hand sanitizer. Personally, I'd rather have the vodka.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Same here with some local distilleries! I already have too much vodka! Hmmm... I happen to have several quarts of tomato juice I simmered down with onions, garlic, celery, carrots and green peppers. It's a little on the thick side, but I'm sure a little ice and vodka would remedy that!