Winter Storms

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Winter Storms

Post by JKEerie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:16 am

Just wondering how everyone is holding up with the latest bout of winter storms. Last weekend we had a major wind and rain storm. Winds exceeded 60 mph, and we were surprised by lightning and thunder. We think our subdivision may have taken a direct lightning strike as power went off last Sunday around 6 am. I was using a heating pad in my bed and it literally popped and fried in the darkness! Heard a loud bang coming from my basement. After 30 seconds, my whole house generator kicked in. I had no power in my bedroom and my refrigerator wasn't on. Found 4 breakers had tripped. That had never happened before. Lost phone and internet, but surprisingly still had cable TV. After I reset the breakers, that restored the bedroom and the frig. Smelled an awful electrical smell though. I found I had no power to a chest freezer in my garage. The outlet wasn't working. Ran a cord from inside the house to the garage to power the freezer. Made a couple calls on my cell for electrical help and to the cable company for the phone and internet. Power was restored after 5 hours.

Called the cable company again later that evening. As it turns out, the phone and internet were out due to a Ground Fault plug in my basement that needed resetting. (The second tech looked at my account and saw I had an signal amplifier installed that is plugged in.) That restored phone, internet and the plug to the garage. Noted that the "trouble" on my alarm panel disappeared. So I thought everything was good. The next day, I found a transformer for my alarm system radio had totally blown apart (Think that may have been what I was smelling.) I also found two surge protectors to which all of my computer equipment was plugged were shot (scorch marks on the carpet). All the equipment was fine as the surge protectors were rated at 400 SVR clamping voltage.

On our subdivision Facebook page, folks were posting about blown circuit breakers, blown lights, lost refrigerators, ovens. Never saw that before! One of our neighbors is an electrician and made the rounds to anyone who needed him. I had him come out on Monday to check things out. Everything was fine. I got off lucky losing only a heating pad, transformer and two surge protectors. He'll be back next week to install a whole house surge protector.

This weekend we are expecting snow and high winds. I know a few of you live in the Midwest. How are you faring?

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Winter Storms

Post by draclvr » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:16 pm

Holy freaking cow! We've had power surges and lost power for 8 to 10 hours. Five days once when a tornado went through in 2002. We even had lightning strike about 25 feet from the house - I saw it hit!! Traveled a galvanized pipe that went from the house to the barn into the house and blew a hole in a copper water pipe. Since the power was out, there wasn't a lot of water damage as the well pump and the holding tank weren't working. But never have I heard of that kind of electrical damage!

So when you get what we call thunder-snow, do you get tons more snow?

It was horrid here last weekend too. Only about 6 inches of snow, but it was on top of about 1/4 inch of frozen sleet, so the roads were just terrible. I would not have left home, but there was a retirement party for a very good friend in town, so I headed out. Even with my truck in 4-wheel drive, it was very slick and I even lost it a couple of times! I told Patti ONLY FOR HER! Yesterday it rained ice all day long. But it warmed up over night and was gone this morning. But, then it's January in Missouri and we get some goofy weather.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:44 am

We have had thunder snow...once when we got hit in 2014 with that 84 inches in November. I don't think there is always an association with lots of snow, though.
That must have been frightening with the lightning strike you witnessed! Never heard of it blowing a hole in a pipe. That must have been fierce!
Having the whole house generator is nice. There are several on my street that have them. You can tell by the self-tests that run weekly. It runs on natural gas and switches on and off automatically. I'll feel better though when I get the whole house surge protector after seeing what this latest storm did in the neighborhood. I was very lucky that I didn't lose anything major.

Last nights storm wasn't that bad. Wind gusts were only around 40 mph and we didn't get as much snow as they thought. We did get the mix...sleet, rain, snow...rinse and repeat...so that made the roads a bit dicey. I stayed in though and even decided to skip church this morning. You are a good friend to travel in bad weather to wish a colleague well.

Hey...Good luck to your KC Chiefs this afternoon!

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:09 pm

That was quite an experience you went through, JK! I'm glad you got it all sorted out.

I just got back from my annual theatre in London trip last night, so aside from cold temps today, I haven't experienced anything significant except some rain and a couple of windy days since Jan. 8.
Not only did I fall off the diet wagon, I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy cupcakes.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:21 pm

It was quite the surprise, LadyK. This is a newer subdivision too, so we're not talking older homes. Guess it doesn't matter where lightning is concerned.

Glad to hear you're doing well. What did you see on your theater trip?

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 am

All I can say about storms is thank goodness for snow blowers. We got storm on the weekend. Hubby ploughed about 6 driveways. Well three driveways and 3 ends when the city did the streets. Our neighbor across the street gave us a Tim Horton's card for coffee. I told one neighbor hubby was on a roll. Like he said once you get out you look for things to do outside. My one neighbor had hip replacements so we did his driveway in case he had to get to the hospital.

First time in years I get a flu shot and today I'm sick as a dog with a cold. I feel awful. I guess it's a good thing I did get the flu shot. I hope this thing doesn't last 6 months.

Christmas and New Year's dinners were a flop, the only thing that was good about the meals was the meatballs and stuffing for the turkey. Hubby says next year we're doing take out. Probably Chinese, we usually eat that over 2 days. Hey, I don't mind, saves on a lot of work for me.

Nfld. had it bad this year for snow. I said to hubby that's just a summer day for them. I've been in storms there where when I got home from school my hair was frozen just walking from the bus stop. Well folks, hope everyone is doing well. Keep warm out there and bundle up :)
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:12 am

Wow you guys - when I sit and watch Christmas movies over the holidays all that beautiful snow looks so wonderful and magical but I guess extreme weather is the pits whatever nature throws at you!! :)
We have had about a week's worth of strong winds here which makes me feel for the tourists who can't be happy not being able to get to the beach. But at least it cools the place down. Unlike places with extreme fluctuation in weather, we have a mild rainy winter and a warm sunny summer, so no homes here are air conditioned or have screens on windows and outside in summer is normally a perfect place to be!!! (Except when there are gale force winds!)
Hope you all survive your snow storms and hope that you have all seen the back of them soon.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 am

Sorry to hear of all your woes, Starlite.

Val...snow-wise it's actually been an easy winter thus far. South of where I live has gotten the brunt of it, but that's fine since it's considered ski country. The temps here have fluctuated. We've been in the 20's and got 5 inches of snow over the weekend. By week's end it will be in the low 40's. We've gotten lots of high winds though that have been damaging. In truth, I think I'd rather have the snow.
'

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Totally agree with snow rather than high winds!! Wish I had the choice! :)