Black Friday!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Black Friday!

Post by draclvr » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Yes, I'm parking my big butt in front of my computer and shopping on-line where it's warm and there is no traffic!

For those of us in the US, it was our Thanksgiving yesterday where we usually eat ourselves into oblivion. Today is the "official" start of the holiday shopping season and it's an unbelievable mad house!

We have daughters-in-law here, so they usually go to their families. So, it's just me, Dave, the turkey and a couple bottles of wine! We love our nice quiet Thanksgivings. I hit a total home run with the turkey this year. Everyone always raves about how moist and good a turkey is if you brine it first. I tried it a couple of years ago and thought it was awful. I could taste the salt in the meat and the gravy was horrid. So I tried it again this year with a different recipe for the brine. It had about 10 crushed cloves of garlic and a cup of honey along with some herbs and peppercorns. I only used half the salt and left the turkey in the solution overnight about 13 hours. Dave normally doesn't like white meat because it's too dry, but he couldn't stop eating it yesterday because it was so good. Plus the gravy was spectacular. Will definitely be doing it this way again.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Re: Black Friday!

Post by Val » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:08 pm

Wonderful result with your turkey this year!!! Well done on persevering and glad you had a a good Thanksgiving! Love and hugs x

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:16 pm

I spent yesterday in my robe and slippers watching the Macy's parade and the dog show on tv, then my sister and I went to my cousin's house. She cooked up a storm for the 3 of us. Since I don't have a functioning kitchen yet, Sis and I contributed the pumpkin pie and wine. We did get to bring home some leftover turkey for sandwiches this weekend.
I'm not lazy. I'm on energy save mode.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:10 am

Our Thanksgiving was spent at my niece Cheryl's who wanted to host this year at the old homestead. We gave Cheryl Mom's house after she had passed since Cheryl was living there as the caretaker. She has clearly made the place her own and did a wonderful job hosting. Most of the family was there, save for folks that had to work and one brother and his family who decided they just wanted a quiet Thanksgiving at home. Our home football team was on the national stage for the first time in centuries and they did not disappoint. So we all had a Happy Thanksgiving making new memories at the old homestead!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:42 am

Now that sounds like an especially wonderful Thanksgiving!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.